Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm getting back into riding after 5 yrs. I want retro looks, with performance and comfort. Wha

The bikes I have been looking at are (listed in the order im leaning right now) Ducati GT1000 or Triumph America. While not so retro looking I am also considering the Victory Hammer, Triumph Rocket 3 and the Harley Davidson V-Rod.



I have extensive experience on dirt bikes having had my first one at the age of 6. I also have about 10 years of experience on the roads but riding nothing bigger then a 600 cruiser there. I havent ridden anything in 5 years and I'm nervous about some of the larger engines later on my list.



I will use the bike mostly around town but once every couple of weeks I will be hitting the highway for a couple of hours.



I would like some experienced riders comments on what they think would be best for my needs. I'm open to new suggestions but I have no interest in the Japenese bikes at all.



I'm getting back into riding after 5 yrs. I want retro looks, with performance and comfort. What should i buy?hijackthis



I ride a 2006 Harley Electra-Glide, and also have a 2002 Honda 750 ACE (a cruiser). I got back into riding about 4 years ago, after a 30-year or so layoff. I bought the Honda, took the MSF Basic Rider's Course, and rode it about 203 years before buying the H-D last Valentine's Day. First, let me recommend that you take an MSF course before you get back on a bike - it will tune up your riding abilities and help you a lot in adjusting to "life on the street" on a bike after your lay-off from riding. Next, I would have to say that you are looking at a pretty big jump from riding a 600cc cruiser five years and more ago to a Ducati, Triumph America or V-Rod. Frankly, the only one of those you should probably consider at this stage of the game would be the Triumph America. The Triumph Rocket, which is aptly named, should be off your list completely, at least until you get a year or two's current experience on a relatively big-bore bike - that thing could really eat your lunch. Exciting, extreme performance, and far too much temptation to twist that right wrist - it can get upwards of 140 MPH in a heartbeat. It is quite capable of leaving most riders mentally well behind it, but your body will still be there at the crash scene. The Ducati and V-Rod are awfully quick, too. The Triumph America is still pretty quick, but is probably in a more manageable range at your current level of proficiency. I'd probably recommend it as your best choice, from those you are considering, at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment